Resumen por Meisy Llobenes
Global problems: there is a huge crisis in institutions, climate change, and individual problems related to stress .. burn our… people feeling lonely and disconnected while we are more connected to social media
The feeling of disconnection is highest in the young people. Loneliness increases diseases and decreases health
Cohesion: feel valued in community,
Developing a global responsibility for the planet
From old to new education systems:
Old education systems: semantic knowledge, logic and sports.
Internal change agents in the new education systems: mindfulness being, emotional regulation and social skills. As species we wouldn’t have survived if we didn’t have these. There are not soft competences at all, they are much harder than what we think.
We cannot learn from the internet these competences: empathy, compassion, these skills we need to learn them from experience
Incentive focused: achievement-consumptions and power (motivations)
Threat focused: anger-fear
Affiliation focused: affiliation-care
They need to be in balance, we cannot build education systems only on threat and incentive, we do need to include more affiliation system in our programs to see our children learning in a safer and healthier environment as well as adults who care about themselves and others
How do we cultivate care and affiliation?
Mental training of compassion.
The Resource project:
- Presence: bringing the mind to this present moment. Train ATTENTION. Stabilizing the mind.
- Care system: gratitude is rooted in this care system, motivation to help others
- Perspective: take a burst of perspective, what is the other thinking-feeling and this is very difficult to do ( mind reading) when the other is very different from me. We need a lot of perspective to avoid judging others. To go into the mind of another one we need to silence our own believes. Children need to learn this and we as adults need to train this.
- Training with new app technology. Mental exercises.
- Contemplative dialogues: 10 minutes with another person connected to you. Empathic listening with another person. Rotate this people as we open up a lot in this type of exercises.
Social neuroscience has told us that empathy and compassion and stress as well are contagious, like a virus they spread out in the atmosphere we are and affects the environment of the classroom. This is because we are connected to each other all the time.
COMPASSION: you are not feeling with you are feeling for the other … That is a difference between empathy and compassion.
Our brains are wired and connected to feel what the other feels.
Compassion experts: monks
She studied her brains they were doing compassion as a meditation practice. Contemplative practices.
They measured the brains of these monks which were doing compassion practices.
One of the monks said he needed to stop doing empathy and start doing some compassion for himself because he was feeling so stressed and burn out he needed some compassion for himself.
Empathy vs compassion
How to transform the empathy in compassion this will be developing emotional resilience. They have distinct networks in the brain and they activate limbic system (in the guts)
Can you change brain structure through mental training? Yes
Social stress for
teachers is daily basis: is the fear of being negatively evaluated by the